The Knox Housing Assistance Program is now an Eviction Prevention Program. The Eviction Prevention Program is a joint City of Knoxville/Knox County initiative aiding renters who are facing eviction. The program is open to income-qualified city and county residents.
For eviction prevention assistance, applications are requested of both the tenant and the landlord. Tenants should also contact their landlord directly to let them know they’ve applied.
Applications for utility assistance only do not require the landlord to submit an application.
Rent and utility assistance are both available through the program. As a tenant you may apply for rent and utility assistance within the same application or you may apply for either type of assistance individually. As a landlord, you may apply for multiple tenants through a single application.
To receive payment through the Eviction Prevention Program, a landlord must agree to and sign the following attestation as part of the application process:
“I agree not to evict the tenant for nonpayment of rent during the months for which I am receiving emergency rental assistance funding and for an additional 30 days past the dates covered by this assistance payment.”
Landlords are not required to participate in the program for a tenant to be eligible for assistance. After a tenant applies, an email is sent to the landlord requesting they complete a landlord application. If no landlord application is submitted, Case Managers will make two additional attempts to contact the landlord, and if unsuccessful, a direct rental assistance payment will be made to the tenant.
Homeowners are not eligible to apply under this program. If you are a homeowner and need assistance, please call 211 for a list of agencies that may be able to help.
Renter households are eligible to receive assistance for up to 18 months if funding is available for rent and utility assistance.
Applications will be accepted until all funds have been reserved. You will only be able to submit your application online during the 15th-30th of every month. If you need immediate assistance due to the imminent danger of housing instability, contact one of the agencies listed below to complete your application.
Priority application processing is provided for households facing imminent eviction. See below for further details on application prioritization.
The EPP Program prioritizes two groups - households at or below 50% of Knox County’s AMI with an eviction notice or detainer warrant and households where at least one member has been unemployed for 90 days before the date of application with an eviction notice or detainer warrant.
Additionally, 60% of our ERA-EPP funds will be used exclusively to aid these four priority groups with the remaining 40% aiding other income-eligible applicants.
The application portal walks you step by step through the process of applying.
You can check the status of your application at any time by logging in to your account. Please review the tab labeled status definition for further information.
Applications submitted with all required documentation will take approximately 60 days to process. However, applications with missing documents require follow-up from Case Managers and take more time to process for approval. Payments cannot be authorized until all required documentation is received.
Every application is assigned to a Case Manager who will review the documentation submitted and either recommend approval or request additional information, if needed. If applicants fail to respond after three attempts at contact, the application will be closed, and an email will be sent to the applicant. Closed cases may be reopened at any time if an applicant provides the requested documentation.
First, make sure your landlord knows that you have applied for assistance through this program. If you have a scheduled court date, it is very important that you are present for the proceedings. Court personnel are working with tenants facing eviction, but you must be present on your appointed court date to avoid a default judgment.
If you have additional questions, please call 211 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have already submitted an application, please provide us your Case ID Number when calling or emailing.